Auto Accident Rights & Responsibilities -Insurance

Reporting The Claim

  • As soon as practical, you should call your insurance company and report the accident. You should do this regardless of who was at fault.
  • An agent will likely ask you about what happened, damages to the vehicles and personal injuries.
  • As part of your insurance contract, you have a duty to cooperate with your insurance company. If you do not cooperate with reasonable demands of your insurance company, you risk denial of coverage.
  • You have no duty or obligation, however, to speak to the other driver’s insurance company.
  • The other party’s insurance agent may ask you to give a recorded statement. You should not agree to do this without first speaking to an attorney.

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage

  • In Connecticut, you are required to buy Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) Coverage. This coverage will protect you if the person that caused the accident is uninsured or does not have enough insurance to cover your losses.
  • UM/UIM coverage cannot be used to pay for damages to your vehicle if you do not carry collision coverage.
  • UM/UIM will cover certain other losses, including medical bills, lost wages (past and future), as well as payment for disabilities, pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life’s activities.
  • Your UM/UIM coverage is determined by the amount of coverage you purchased.

Will my rates go up?

  • There is no hard and fast rule regarding premium calculations. In general, if you cause your insurance company to make payment on your behalf because of an accident you were responsible for causing, there is a change your rates will go up.
  • If, on the other hand, your insurance company has to pay you on your policy because of the other party’s negligence (i.e. Med-Pay claim or UM/UIM)), your rates will not likely go up.
  • For specific guidance regarding your policy,contact your insurance agent or representative.

What happens if I need to file a complaint against an insurance company?

  • If your insurance company mistreated you or otherwise treated you unfairly, you may file a complaint with the Department of Insurance, the Attorney General’s Office, or contact your local representative. Complaints to the Department of Insurance should be directed as follows.
  • State of Connecticut Insurance Department, Consumer Affairs, P.O. Box 816, Hartford, CT 06142-0816. Phone: 1-800-203-3447. All complaints but be in writing. For a complaint form, go to:


You have the right to have your vehicle repaired at a facility of your choice


Message brought to you by the Auto Body Association of CT & Buckley Wynne & Parese